Thursday, April 2, 2015

Religious Freedom Legislation Scenarios - It may not be as cut and dry as you think



Here’s all I have to say about religious freedom legislation. The big question doesn’t have anything to do with homophobia or discrimination. The big question is: Where do my rights end and yours begin? I have provided a few examples of situations for you to consider. I won’t give my opinion.

Example one: I own a hotel in a small town. My friend Joe from college usually stays in my hotel when he comes into town for business. One weekend he shows up with a woman who I know is not his wife. I feel that if I rent him a room, I am participating in his adultery. Should I be required by law to rent him a room this time?

Example two: I have a small garage apartment for rent. My daughter’s best friend from high school wants the apartment. I agree to rent it to her at first, but as we continue to talk, I realize her boyfriend will be living with her and paying part of the rent. She can only afford the apartment with his help. If I believe that it is morally wrong to live together and have sex before getting married, should I be required by law to rent the apartment?

Example three: I own an event planning business. We plan many types of events including business luncheons, conferences, birthdays and weddings. Joan is a local business woman I have worked with many times. I know she is a lesbian, but that doesn’t affect our business relationship. She owns a local business and has hired my company to plan several luncheons. She recently decided to marry her partner and calls me for a bid to plan the wedding. I am morally opposed to same-sex marriage. Should I be required by law to plan her wedding?

Example four: I am a preacher. Mary and John are members at my church who are dating. They have both been married before. Mary’s husband died of cancer, but John divorced his wife because he didn’t love her anymore. I am opposed to performing marriage ceremonies for people who have already been married and divorced. Should I be required by law to perform the ceremony of two of my church members who have been divorced?

Example five: I am an atheist. I strongly believe that all religion is morally wrong because of all the wars and deaths that can be attributed to religion. I own a publishing company that is in a book deal with an author. One of my editors has done most of the work and has verbally promised a deal to the author. The book is well written, the type of book we normally publish and should draw in business from a niche market we have been targeting. When I read the author’s biography that is slated to go in the back of the book, I see that she declares that she is a Christian and gives credit to her talent to God alone and even provides a website for more information about her church. Should I be required by law to complete the book deal if she refuses to remove these things from her biography?

Draw your own conclusions.

2 comments:

  1. Lana, thank you for this! Jeff and I have been having many discussions along these lines. People are getting so mad about discrimination, but Jeff pointed out this example: If I own a printing company and those Westboro people come in and want me to print a bunch of signs that say "God hates fags," I'd like to be able to refuse to do that based on my moral beliefs that God is LOVE.

    ReplyDelete